Saturday, November 26, 2022 is Small Business Saturday-a day founded by American Express in 2010 to celebrate and support small businesses and all they do for their communities. This year it’s even more meaningful to support small businesses as many are still facing challenges from the pandemic. A recent QuickBooks survey found that this holiday season is more important to small businesses and their overall financial health when compared to last year.
Why should consumers shop small and support small businesses during the holiday season and beyond? The U.S. Chamber of Commerce gives five reasons.
- Shopping small is investing in your local community. The sales tax you pay is used to support your city and neighborhood.
- Small businesses are essential to the U.S. economy. America’s small businesses account for more than 99% of all U.S. companies and employ just under 47% of private sector employees.
- Small businesses give back to their communities. Many small businesses encourage their employees to shop at other small businesses and host community events while donating to local charities.
- Many small businesses are now online. Due to the pandemic many small businesses moved online making it even easier to shop.
- You can find one-of-a-kind items and customized items. Many small businesses can provide more personalized service and one-of-a-kind items due to not buying in bulk. Small businesses can also stock items from local crafters.
If you haven’t already, go check out the small businesses in your area this Saturday!