Due to inflation, prices are up on all kinds of goods including school supplies. Many Americans are concerned about soaring prices, shortages of products and the amount of time it takes to receive online orders. Despite these worries and challenges, here are 5 easy ways to save money on your back to school shopping this year.
1. If time allows for shipping, shop online first.
Shopping experts say that consumers can expect sales to launch online first, so starting online is smart this year. Additionally, consumers can use coupon browser extensions to find discounts automatically and often times get free shipping to a local store for pick up.
2. Consider using browser coupon extensions such as CouponCabin, Honey, Capital One Shopping, Rakuten and Ibotta.
You can find coupons, cashback and bonus cash options and will be automatically alerted to offers as you browse.
3. Buy in bulk for supplies that students use every year.
Purchasing items in bulk is almost always cheaper and if you don’t use all the items save the extra notebooks, pencils, paper, etc. for the next school year.
4. Buy generic brands whenever possible.
Store brands are almost always 25% to 30% cheaper than their name brand counterparts, and are often the same or similar product.
5. Invest in high quality items that can be used for multiple years.
Backpacks and binders can be re-used from year to year to save money. Buy storage containers that can be washed and re-used for school lunches as opposed to baggies.